Monday, June 20, 2011

Fatherhood Top Five - Best things about bein' a dad!

Yesterday was my second father's day, of many to come. This is the one day of the year, where we remember to stop and thank dad for all that he does, and where life slows down just a tad, to spend time with him. I love these special days, because they are special in their own little ways, but I appreciate my dad all the time, for the things that he does.

This father's day, I woke up to my little boy leaning over me, with his big, 8 tooth grin, saying "da-da". What a thing to wake up to on a Sunday morning! Oh, and did I metion, he let J and I sleep in until 7:30 a.m. the whole weekend?! Thanks O-man!

Here are the top five things about fatherhood, in my opinion:

5. Not worrying what your shirt looks like in the morning after a bit of snot, spit up or milk gets wiped on it. Enjoy it while it lasts fellas!

4. Waking up with the birds. I truly mean this, although I complain about it sometimes! Once you have children, you realize just how much daylight you've actually missed while you lay in bed on those lazy weekends! No alarm is necessary in our house, Little-O is up by 6 a.m. like clock work.

3. Living each day anew. Until you are a father, every day seems the same. Go to bed, wake up, go to work, come home, eat, go to bed.... When you have children, you learn to live through their eyes! Every day I spend with O, I learn something completely new. New ways to pronounce words, new ways to mark up the walls, just how amazing it is to be outside and look at the sky, or the intricate details of a rock or sand. A-ma-zing!

2. Da-da. I've been called a lot of things in my life, but I get a crazy chill every time O calls me Da-da or daddy or dad! His enunciation of daddy and mommy is amazing. I can feel his love every time he calls me, and like all you dad's know, it is one amazing feeling.

1. Coming Home after work. The best part of my day is walking through the door after work. I mean, I was always greeted happily by the dogs and J, but when I walk through the door and O sees me, his eyes absolutely light up. He goes right to the railing, and reaches through, trying to touch me, making sure I'm actually home. Then the fun begins! We play, we talk, watch his movie, have supper, go for a walk. We just enjoy being together, me and the O-man.

Take care Dad's (and moms who read this) and happy belated Father's day! Enjoy this gift, every day.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment