Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Midwife Appointment - 8 June 2011

Hi folks. A lot of fathers don't really feel connected to their unborn child until they actually meet them on their birth-day. With O, I can say this was true. That is, until I heard his little heart beating for the first time, at the end of the first trimester. This instantly triggered something in me that said "you're going to be a father, make ways to get connected with your baby and your wife." So I did, and I swear that a lot of the things that I did, while J was pregnant with O, and the way he came into this world, gave me the relationship I have with my son today.

June 8, 2011, 6 months before we meet our 2nd baby, is the day I heard my baby's heartbeat at our midwife appointment. I think any father can attest, that hearing the little, speedy heartbeat is a day they'll never forget. It is one of the most amazing experiences, next to childbirth, that a father can have. Hearing the little ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta on the doppler, can be summed in one word. AMAZING. After the heartbeat, the appointment went on as usual, and we headed home, on an amazing June day.

I'll give you a small glimpse of how midwifery care works in Saskatoon. All couples are assigned a primary Midwife, and an on-call midwife. The primary is the lovely midwife we will get to spend the most of our time with, with occassional visits with the on-call, near the end of the pregnancy so we are all comfortable with eachother. After the birth, the primary midwife continues care of mom and newborn, at home. We are fortunate enough to have the same primary Midwife we had with O, Jessica. She is, like all of the midwives, an amazing woman, who truly has a passion for what she does. She also has developed a great relationship with J, and is someone we can truly confide in and trust to guide us towards the birth of our second child. We are also thrilled that Roz is our on-call midwife. She provided amazing care to O at his birth, and will likely be doing the same for the birth of our second child.

Any of you parents out there who are curious for a dad's perspective on homebirth, midwifery care, or alternative child birth and child rearing methods, let me know.

Until next time everyone, trust birth.
B

No comments:

Post a Comment