Wednesday, January 9, 2013

#DADuary2013






A fellow dad and blogger over at manvdadhood.com is leading a really cool initiative called #DADuary2013, which is an opportunity to not only get excited about being a dad in 2013, but to celebrate all forms of dadhood. See Joe's post here: http://manvdadhood.com/2012/12/27/join-me-for-daduary2013-in-your-own-way/.

This post will cover week 1, as I missed it last week and I will post on week 2 on Friday or Saturday. Here is the basic info for DADuary2013 from manvdadhood.com:


"2013 is a Year to REACH Farther:

I do not believe that as Dads we should strive to be like Moms.  We are different, and that does not mean we are better or worse, but just different.  The idea to reach farther is calling for dads, ALL dads, to be more, and to raise the bar of the Dadhood during DADuary.  Each letter of REACH corresponds to a theme for a week in DADuary:
 R.  Respect the role of Dad – Find value in your position as a Dad.  
E.  Encourage other Dads – Do something special for another Dad.
A.  Adventure out with the wife and/or family – Do something special for your wife, or with your kids.
C.  Connect to other Dads – Find your support group next door or online.
H.  Be a HERO!  Do something special for a child that is not directly yours!"
How cool, eh? Like many of you, the best thing that ever happened to me was becoming a dad. Seeing my kids in the morning, no matter how grumpy or happy they are, gives me the get up and go that I need to get through the day on perhaps only a few hours of sleep. They make me proud to be who I am and to do what I do. They made me decide to create this blog and help other men enjoy fatherhood as much as I do. Spread the word about #DADuary2013, and let's celebrate fatherhood!

R. Respect the role of Dad - Find value in your position as a Dad.

As you know, I am the father of a busy 2 1/2 year old boy and a beautiful 1 year old little girl. Since the day they were born I have valued my position as their father. I also value education, and my position as a Dad is to not only be sure they place value in education academically, but also socially, personally, respectfully, and so on. 

My goal as a Dad of a little boy is to teach him to be proud of who he feels he is. To teach him to respect everyone as he wishes to be respected, especially to respect and love his mother and his sister. To teach him that it is okay to cry, even though he is a boy. I could go on with what I want to teach him as a Dad, but nothing will matter more then what he sees me do each day. I need to teach myself to continue to be a positive role model for him and his sister, to always love his mother and respect her, to show him how to react to negative situations and to show him how I am proud to be who I am, and proud of him. This is the best thing any dad can give to his son and it is a Job I find great honour in being given.

I am blessed with what some call, "the million dollar family" - the father of a boy and a girl. Some new and unique challenges come with being the father of a daughter - challenges that I do not take lightly and challenges that I accept, proudly. My baby girl is so beautiful and I am so proud of her already. I want to teach her much of the same things I want for my son, but most importantly, I want to show and teach her how she DESERVES to be treated as a little girl and a young woman. I will do this by treating her mother in this way, and showing my baby girl how all women deserve and value to be treated. I will also teach her to love herself for who she is, and not let the media decide on how she should look or what she should do. Like I will do with my son, if she chooses to do or play with things that are not "stereotypically" for girls, that is fine. She will not be judged by her mother or I, and if she is judged by others, she will know to not let those things bug her. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and their judgment means nothing. If she is proud of who she is and what she does, than that is all that matters. 

These are huge challenges that I am setting for myself as a Dad, challenges that I look forward to as I raise my children in a sometimes cruel world. I want them to be understanding, respectful of everyone, compassionate, caring individuals who are proud to be who they are and look forward to the new adventures each day brings.

So spread the word and participate in #DADuary 2013 and embrace fatherhood to the fullest!

In fatherhood,
B



No comments:

Post a Comment